Oh no, my code is being published ... help!

Neil Cerutti horpner at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 10:01:19 EST 2007

On 2007-11-30, Eduardo O. Padoan <eduardo.padoan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 11:18 AM, Peter Decker <pydecker at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 2007 1:19 AM, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > You also have a couple of instances of:
>> >     print("Error Squeezing %s...")
>> >
>> > The parentheses serve no purpose here, and are unidiomatic.
>>
>> I thought that with the eventual dropping of 'print' as a
>> statement in Python 3, that writing it this way (as if it were
>> a print function) is preferred, since that will be one fewer
>> thing to convert.
>
> No, writing this way will confound the 2to3 tool. Just try for
> yourself. You would have to write print(something) all the time
> and disable the fix_print convertion. It is easier and safer to
> write the common 2.Xish way and let 2to3 do the work.

Output ought be centralized to support maintenance, solving the
3.0 compatibility problem as a side-effect.

So the above would be something like:

  my_print("Error Squeezing %s..." % the_thingy)

With my_print defined appropriately for the time and place.

Moreover, publishing code today with print(...) will, at best,
require a needless digression.

--
Neil Cerutti