Some "pythonic" suggestions for Python

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Fri Nov 9 15:46:02 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:00 -0500, Frank Samuelson wrote:
> I love Python, and it is one of my 2 favorite
> languages.  I would suggest that Python steal some
> aspects of the S language.

In general, I agree that Python has some antiquated concepts at its core
(statements being a major one) and that some of these things make the
language inconsistent and introduce additional syntax.

However, despite the apparent close-mindedness of some of the
respondents (it doesn't look like current Python syntax, hence it's
"ugly"), I also agree with them to a degree: changing Python at this
level would mean it would no longer be Python, it would be some other
language.  What you are basically asking is that GvR abandon Python
(like ABC before it) and start on a "next generation" language.  That's
quite a request.  I'm not saying it's a bad request, simply that you
should recognize the scale of request you are making.

On a more practical level, you might take a look at Boo.  It's
intentionally Python-like in appearance, yet lifts several key
limitations (and is probably far more open to suggestions at this early
stage in its life).  Unfortunately it's nowhere near Python in
completeness (notably documentation, size of community and overall
maturity) and, for better or worse, it runs on .NET/Mono.

Regards,
Cliff