Python Extension Building Network

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 09:08:17 EST 2007

Hi,

I am trying to get a small group of volunteers together to create
Windows binaries for any Python extension developer that needs them,
much like the package/extension builders who volunteer their time to
create Linux RPMs.

The main thing I need are people willing to test the binaries to make
sure the extension is stable. This would require installing the binary
and probably downloading the source too to get the developer's test
code. I've been able to get some of the tests to run great while
others are pretty finicky and some extensions don't come with tests.
It would be nice to know which extensions are most in need of this
too.

While I can create the binaries on my own for a while, if I get too
many requests, there will be a backlog, so it would be nice to have
help with that too. I'm also looking for knowledgeable people to be
sounding boards (i.e. give advice).

Developers: all I would require is a request, a link to the source,
and a well-written setup.py file for a cross-platform extension.

You can find the few that I've already done here:http://
www.pythonlibrary.org/python_modules.htm

I have also posted a way to create the binaries using the MinGW
compiler. I have VS2003 installed on my PC and MinGW is installed in a
VM, so I can compile the extensions both ways.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Mike