pyparsing and svg

Arkanes arkanes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 10:11:13 EST 2007

Paul McGuire wrote:
> On Nov 8, 3:14 am, Donn Ingle <donn.in... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> float = nums + dot + nums
>>

> Should be:
>
> float = Combine(Word(nums) + dot + Word(nums))
>
> nums is a string that defines the set of numeric digits for composing
> Word instances.  nums is not an expression by itself.
>
> For that matter, I see in your later tests that some values have a
> leading minus sign, so you should really go with:
>
> float = Combine(Optional("-") + Word(nums) + dot + Word(nums))

I have a working path data parser (in pyparsing) at
http://code.google.com/p/wxpsvg.

Parsing the numeric values initially gave me a lot of trouble - I
translated the BNF in the spec literally and there was a *ton* of
backtracking going on with every numeric value. I ended up using a more
generous grammar, and letting pythons float() reject invalid values.

I couldn't get repeating path elements (like M 100 100 200 200, which is
the same as M 100 100 M 200 200) working right in the grammar, so I
expand those with post-processing.

The parser itself can be seen at
http://wxpsvg.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/svg/pathdata.py