How to output newline or carriage return with optparse

john.m.roach at gmail.com john.m.roach at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 12:21:14 EST 2007

On Nov 8, 11:46 am, Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to implement some simple command line options.
> > Some of the 'help' sections are long and I would like to
> > control line breaks.  How do you do this?
>
> I had this problem earlier and solved it here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/6df...
>
> thanks to a little guidance from Ben Finney on where to look.
>
> It came up again last month here:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/e72...
>
> which should solve the problem for you.
>
> ASIDE:  I've started refactoring this bit out in my local
> source...how would I go about contributing it back to the Python
> code-base?  I didn't get any feedback from posting to the Optik
> site.  My refactor basically takes an optional pre-processing
> function to parse your string into the output that gets passed to
> textwrap.wrap() and textwrap.fill(), defaulting to the old
> behavior, but offering a function for splitting it into
> paragraphs based on newlines.
>
> -tkc

Thanks for the help Tim.  I just copied and pasted your code into a
file in my $PYTHONPATH (IndentedHelpFormatterWithNL.py), but I'm
getting the following error:

    class IndentedHelpFormatterWithNL(IndentedHelpFormatter):
NameError: name 'IndentedHelpFormatter' is not defined

I tried adding: from optparse imoport IndentedHelpFormatter into the
aforementioned file, but no luck again.  What am I missing???

Thanks.