Looking for a good Python environment

Chris Mellon arkanes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 09:53:34 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 3:56 AM, bramble <cadet.bramble at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 4:48 am, Paul Rudin <paul.nos... at rudin.co.uk> wrote:
> > jwelby <julius.we... at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > The main reason I have used Eclipse for larger, team based, projects
> > > is for the source control plug-ins. Eclipse has plug-in support for
> > > cvs and svn. PyScripter may have this too - perhaps I've missed it.
> > > (I'm away from my Windows box at the moment, otherwise I would check).
> > > Of course, there are other ways to implement source control without it
> > > needing to be integrated in the IDE, so even this need not put off
> > > anyone who wants to use PyScripter with source control.
> >
> > > [snip]
> >
> > I'm not sure if you count emacs as "lightweight" but it's certainly
> > less resource hungry than eclipse/pydev, and does have integrated
> > cvs/svn functionality.
>
> I've never understood the desire for using your version control
> software via your IDE. Why not just Alt-Tab over to your terminal
> window and run the svn/bzr/hg/git/whatever commands yourself right
> from there?

Because I'm already in my IDE and I'm already managing files from
there. The version integration in Eclipse also has some other handy
features, like showing history in the live document (I can do an svn
blame for the line I'm looking at directly in the editor, without
needing to context switch to a different environment).

In the particular case of Eclipse, Eclipse has it's own "workspace"
and project metaphors, it doesn't work with just any old file it
happens to find. This can be very frustrating at times, but since
that's how Eclipse works it's nice to have source control integrated
into that.