Outbound HTML Authentication

Tyler Reguly ht at computerdefense.org
Thu Nov 29 15:42:16 EST 2007

Hello,

You should probably read the HTTP RFC is you're going to write a screen
scraper... but either way.

401 tells you that Auth is required.... there are several types of
"server-based auth" (Different from form based auth)... They include

   - Basic
   - Digest
   - NTLM (or Negotiate)

Basic is easy to implement... Digest is slightly more complex... NTLM
requires that you have an understanding of how NTLM works in general.

There are a couple things you can do...

   1. Find a public implementation of NTLM in python (I don't believe one
   exists... but if it does, I'd love if someone could point it out)
   2. Use the  NTLM Authentication Proxy Server (
   http://www.geocities.com/rozmanov/ntlm/ )
   3. Follow Ronald Tschalär's write-up on NTLM over HTTP and implement
   it yourself ( http://www.innovation.ch/personal/ronald/ntlm.html )

I actually did the recently for a project that I'm working on... and looked
fairly deeply at Ronald's write-up... It is fairly decent... and I may
actually implement it at some point in the future as a released Python
module... for now though you'll have to do it yourself.

--
Tyler Reguly
http://www.computerdefense.org