Microsoft's Dynamic Languages Runtime (DLR)

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Wed May 2 15:20:42 EDT 2007

sturlamolden wrote:
> On Monday Microsoft announced a new runtime for dynamic languages,
> which they call "DLR". It sits on top of the conventional .NET runtime
> (CLR)  and provides services for dynamically typed languages like
> Python or Lisp (thus the cross-posting). Apparently is is distributed
> under a BSD-like open-source license.
>
> I am curious to know how it performs in comparison to CPython and an
> efficient compiled Lisp like CMUCL. Speed is a major problem with
> CPython but not with .NET or CMUCL, so it will be interesting to see
> how the DLR performs in comparison. It would be great to finally see a
> Python that runs on steroids, but knowing M$ bloatware my expectations
> are not too high.
>
> Has anyone looked at the DLR yet? What are your impression?

So far, there is not a lot of information available. The only statement
about the technology I have read so far is that the DLR is a thin layer
on top of the CLR. This doesn't say a lot.

So it's hard to tell whether this is a (good) marketing stunt or whether
there are actual substantial improvement to the infrastructure.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net