PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Eric Brunel see.signature at no.spam
Wed May 16 11:59:46 EDT 2007

On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:14:32 +0200, Gregor Horvath <gh at gregor-horvath.com>
wrote:

> Eric Brunel schrieb:
>
>> Highly improbable in the general context. If I stumble on a source code
>> in Chinese, Russian or Hebrew, I wouldn't be able to figure out a
>> single sound.
>
> If you get source code in a programming language that you don't know you
> can't figure out a single sound too.
> How is that different?

What kind of argument is that? If it was carved in stone, I would not be
able to enter it in my computer without rewriting it. So what?

The point is that today, I have a reasonable chance of being able to read,
understand and edit any Python code. With PEP 3131, it will no more be
true. That's what bugs me.

> If someone decides to make *his* identifiers in Russian he's taking into
> account that none-Russian speakers are not going to be able to read the
> code.

Same question again and again: how does he know that non-Russian speakers
will *ever* get in touch with his code and/or need to update it?
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17l8(%,5.Z*(93-965$l7+-'])"