PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Gregor Horvath gh at gregor-horvath.com
Wed May 16 12:31:29 EDT 2007

Eric Brunel schrieb:

> The point is that today, I have a reasonable chance of being able to
> read, understand and edit any Python code. With PEP 3131, it will no
> more be true. That's what bugs me.

That's just not true. I and others in this thread have stated that they
use German or other languages as identifiers today but are forced to
make a stupid and unreadable translation to ASCII.

> Same question again and again: how does he know that non-Russian
> speakers will *ever* get in touch with his code and/or need to update it?

If you didn't get non English comments and identifiers until now, you
will not get any with this PEP either. And if you do get them today or
with the PEP it doesn't make a difference for you to get some glyphs not
properly displayed, doesn't it?

Gregor