PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 08:27:26 EDT 2007

Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
>> That is a reason to actively encourage people to write their code in
>> English whereever possible, not one to allow non-ASCII identifiers,
>> which might even do the opposite.
>
> There is no reason to encourage or discourage people in which language
> to write their code.

There is, because code sharing is generally a good thing. If you don't
think it is, then we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

> Code that's meant to be shared makes just a tiny
> percentage of all the code written right this moment.
>
> This "ready to be shared" code is neither better nor worse than
> "closed" german or chinese-only code.

The implementaton of this PEP would not make Chinese-only Python code
possible. It would only make a Chinese-English gibberish without ASCII
transliteration possible. Also, alot of code that starts out as "closed"
and not meant to be shared is shared at some point (this is how we got
Zope, AFAIK), and this is a thing that should be encouraged.

--
René