PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Tue May 15 08:09:15 EDT 2007

* René Fleschenberg (Tue, 15 May 2007 13:17:13 +0200)
> Steven D'Aprano schrieb:
> >> A Python
> >>       project that uses Urdu identifiers throughout is just as useless
> >>       to me, from a code-exchange point of view, as one written in Perl.
> >
> > That's because you can't read it, not because it uses Unicode. It could
> > be written entirely in ASCII, and still be unreadable and impossible to
> > understand.
>
> That is a reason to actively encourage people to write their code in
> English whereever possible, not one to allow non-ASCII identifiers,
> which might even do the opposite.

There is no reason to encourage or discourage people in which language
to write their code. Code that's meant to be shared makes just a tiny
percentage of all the code written right this moment.

This "ready to be shared" code is neither better nor worse than
"closed" german or chinese-only code.