(Modular-)Application Framework / Rich-Client-Platform in Python

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Fri May 18 18:22:38 EDT 2007

Stef Mientki napisał(a):

> I took a look at some of the examples build with eclipse,
> and I might be wrong, but it's just another IDE,
> (like Delphi, Lazarus, Visual Basic, Kylix, Pida, Envisage, VisualWX,
> wxGlade, ...)
> what am I missing ?

I think you miss the difference between Eclipse IDE and Eclipse
Platform. The IDE is and application built using RCP. As Azureus or
RSSOwl, which aren't IDE-type applications. One of the tutorials
mentioned int the RCP wiki takes user through creating an email client
application, which is not an IDE, definitely. Eclipse RCP allows
building applications as a set of pluggable features over common
runtime. While not a "mark-and-drop" solution yet, it's a great leap
forward in Java desktop applications.

There's more to Eclipse that just IDE. ;)

--
Jarek Zgoda
http://jpa.berlios.de/