(Modular-)Application Framework / Rich-Client-Platform in Python

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Sat May 19 05:57:52 EDT 2007

Jarek Zgoda wrote:
> Stef Mientki napisał(a):
>
>> I took a look at some of the examples build with eclipse,
>> and I might be wrong, but it's just another IDE,
>> (like Delphi, Lazarus, Visual Basic, Kylix, Pida, Envisage, VisualWX,
>> wxGlade, ...)
>> what am I missing ?
>
> I think you miss the difference between Eclipse IDE and Eclipse
> Platform. The IDE is and application built using RCP. As Azureus or
> RSSOwl, which aren't IDE-type applications. One of the tutorials
> mentioned int the RCP wiki takes user through creating an email client
> application, which is not an IDE, definitely. Eclipse RCP allows
> building applications as a set of pluggable features over common
> runtime. While not a "mark-and-drop" solution yet, it's a great leap
> forward in Java desktop applications.
>
> There's more to Eclipse that just IDE. ;)

Sorry, I don't get the difference between an IDE and RPC.
If I look at the demo of the "email client" you mentioned,
(and I don't understand a bit of Java),
I see a very complex story (at least for me).

Is there an easy possibility that I can see the "email client" you mentioned,
working on my computer,
so I can judge how I would create the same functionality in one of the other IDE's,
maybe then I get the picture.

thanks,
Stef Mientki