Trying to choose between python and java

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 15 03:07:09 EDT 2007

"Anthony Irwin" <nospam at noemailhere.nowhere> wrote in message
news:f2bghg$4q0$1 at news-01.bur.connect.com.au...
| #2 What database do people recommend for using with python that is
| easy to distribute across linux, mac, windows.

Check out the sqlite3 module.  (But I have not used it yet).

| #5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
| language changed or made stuff depreciated (I can fully remember
| which) and old code stopped working. Is code written today likely to
| still work in 5+ years or do they depreciate stuff and you have to
update?

Most versions of Python are still available.  You are free to use and
distribute your copies indefinitely.  Several older versions are still in
use.

Recent releases have added features but removed very little except bugs.
Unfortunately, bug removal sometimes breaks code.  And feature additions
occasionally introduce bugs or otherwise break code, but that is why there
are alpha, beta, and candidate releases before a final release.

Python3 will remove many things at once.  A conversion tool is being
written.  And there is no expectation that production code should be
immediately converted, if ever.

Terry Jan Reedy