Trying to choose between python and java

Anthony Irwin nospam at noemailhere.nowhere
Tue May 15 01:30:22 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I am currently trying to decide between using python or java and have
a few quick questions about python that you may be able to help with.

#1 Does python have something like javas .jar packages. A jar file
contains all the program files and you can execute the program with
java -jar program.jar

I am sort of hoping python has something like this because I feel it
makes it easier to distribute between platforms e.g. linux, mac
windows etc.

#2 What database do people recommend for using with python that is
easy to distribute across linux, mac, windows.

#3 Is there any equivalent to jfreechart and jfreereport
(http://www.jfree.org for details) in python.

#4 If I write a program a test it with python-wxgtk2.6 under linux are
the program windows likely to look right under windows and mac?

#5 someone said that they used to use python but stopped because the
language changed or made stuff depreciated (I can fully remember
which) and old code stopped working. Is code written today likely to
still work in 5+ years or do they depreciate stuff and you have to update?

Anyway hopefully someone can help me out with these last few questions
I have.

Also does anyone else have any useful comments about python vs java
without starting a flame war.

--
Kind Regards,
Anthony Irwin