Towards faster Python implementations - theory

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 9 11:14:05 EDT 2007

"Hendrik van Rooyen" <mail at microcorp.co.za> wrote in message
news:013d01c79210$5e441280$03000080 at hendrik...
| I am relatively new on this turf, and from what I have seen so far, it
| would not bother me at all to tie a name's type to its first use, so that
| the name can only be bound to objects of the same type as the type
| of the object that it was originally bound to.
|
| But maybe I am missing the point of dynamism.
|
| Would an implementation of the above break lots of stuff in practice?

For function local variables, if you mean 'originally bound to' in the
current call invocation, that would sometimes be ok (and that is sort of
what Psycho does).  But if you mean in the original binding in the first
call invocation, then that would cripple many functions.

tjr