Towards faster Python implementations - theory

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Wed May 9 02:09:14 EDT 2007

 "John Nagle" <nagle at animats.com> wrote:

8<---------------- summary of existing work and thinking ------------------

>     The point here is that we don't need language changes or declarations
> to make Python much faster.  All we need are a few restrictions that
> insure that, when you're doing something unusual, the compiler can
> tell.

I am relatively new on this turf, and from what I have seen so far, it
would not bother me at all to tie a name's type to its first use, so that
the name can only be bound to objects of the same type as the type
of the object that it was originally bound to.

But maybe I am missing the point of dynamism.

Would an implementation of the above break lots of stuff in practice?

It seems to me that it could have the effect of a declaration without
the wart of actually doing it.

- Hendrik