python shell/Intermediate Python tools.

Paddy paddy3118 at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 07:12:20 EDT 2007

On May 20, 1:56 am, cla... at lairds.us (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> In article <1179552984.466321.137... at u30g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,Paddy  <paddy3... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >On May 16, 6:38 pm, Krypto <krypto.wiz... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I have been using python shell to test small parts of the big program.
> >> What other ways can I use the shell effectively. My mentor told me
> >> that you can virtually do anything from testing your program to
> >> anything in the shell. Any incite would be useful.
>
> >Doctest!
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctest
>
>                         .
>                         .
>                         .
> <URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DocTest> will probably prove more fruitful.
>
> While I don't like follow-ups which consist of trivial corrections, I *very*
> much want to encourage readers to explore Doctest more deeply; it deserves the
> attention, even at the cost of appearing pedantic.

Sometimes you have to mess with the case of letters in wiki pages
which is the case here, but I did actually cut-n-paste the address
from Wikipedia as I like to look at the page from time to time as,
like yourself, I think doctest shows the true spirit of what is
Pythonic, and created the page when I found Wikipedia did not have it.

Gets me thinking along the lines of "What else should the intermediate
Python programmer know about"?

The other Python tool I am apt to carp on about is Kodos
http://kodos.sourceforge.net/ .
Kodos is a great tool for those new to reguar expressions. It allows
you to test your regular expressions on snippets of text and gives
great visual feedback on the results. After over a decade of writing
regexps I still use Kodos occasionally, and wish I had such a tool a
decade ago.

- Paddy.