GUI tutorial

Paul Rubin http
Sun May 13 14:06:50 EDT 2007

John K Masters <johnmasters at oxtedonline.net> writes:
> Can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial on programming
> python with a GUI? I'm just starting out with python and have written a
> few scripts successfully but would like to add a graphical front end to
> them to make it easier for my work colleagues, most of whom have never
> used a command line, to use.

http://infohost.nmt.edu/tcc/help/pubs/tkinter/ is pretty good.  You
could alternatively consider writing your script as a web server or
web app, so the gui would be a browser.  That puts some limitations on
the gui design but it makes development and deployment both simpler.
Develoment is simpler because you just use regular HTML instead of
weird libraries and callbacks and threads and all that crap.
Deployment is simpler because you can install and run the program on
one machine, send the url to your colleagues, and update the program
as needed without having to get your colleagues constantly installing
new versions.  For security reasons, be careful to not expose the web
interface to the public internet until you know what you're doing.