GUI tutorial

vasudevram vasudevram at gmail.com
Sun May 13 14:25:40 EDT 2007

On May 13, 10:51 pm, John K Masters <johnmast... at oxtedonline.net>
wrote:
> Can someone point me in the direction of a good tutorial on programming
> python with a GUI? I'm just starting out with python and have written a
> few scripts successfully but would like to add a graphical front end to
> them to make it easier for my work colleagues, most of whom have never
> used a command line, to use.
>
> Regards, John
> --
> War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
> Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)

That depends on which GUI toolkit you want to use.

There are at least one or two good online tutorials on the Web for
Tkinter (the Python interface to the Tk toolkit).
One is by Fredrik Lundh (a.k.a the effbot, a leading Python
contributor). Google for suitable keywords, e.g. Tkinter tutorial.

Tkinter comes with Python by default on Windows, so that helps. But
wxPython is not a bad toolkit either.
(You'll have to download and install it, also the demos (see below)
are often a separate download.)
I've used it some, and like it. I don't know of any tutorials for it,
though there may be some - again, Google for info.
But if you already have some GUI programming background, its not too
difficult to pick up it up. It comes with a big set of demos with
source code, and I was able to learn enough wxPython to write some
simple apps just by looking at the demos source code and reading some
of the reference documentation. Those apps are here:

http://www.packtpub.com/article/Using_xtopdf

Check the last part of the article for links to the source code.

PyQt is another option, recommended by some people. Haven't tried it
myself but have used Qt (the C++ GUI toolkit to which PyQt is a
binding) a little, and like it a lot. Qt again is supposed to be of
very high quality, according to some people. I am currently reading a
book Programming Qt and found most of it pretty straightforward
(though not simple :-) to understand (you do need to understand the
concept of signals and slots, as that is fundamental to Qt
programming).

HTH
Vasudev Ram
Dancing Bison Enterprises