strange PyLint configuration (was: PEP 8 style enforcing program)

Eduardo "EdCrypt" O. Padoan eopadoan at altavix.com
Thu May 31 14:30:45 EDT 2007

On 5/31/07, Bjoern Schliessmann
<usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> Alexander Eisenhuth wrote:
>
> > Pylint is one of them (http://www.logilab.org/857)
>
> BTW: Why does pylint want all names with underscores? I tested it
> and it complains about malformed names in e.g. the following cases
> that are conformant to PEP 8:
>
> - single letter as parameter

This seems to be an Logilab internal restriction.

> - firstLowerCamelCase names for instances and instance methods in
>   class declarations ("should match [a-z_][a-z0-9_]{2,30}$")
> - all lowercase method names in class declarations

No. Quoting PEP 8:
Functions:
"""
mixedCase is allowed only in contexts where that's already the
      prevailing style (e.g. threading.py), to retain backwards compatibility.
"""
Methods and instances:
"""
Use the function naming rules: lowercase with words separated by
      underscores as necessary to improve readability.
"""

> Those policies are barely usable, IMHO, and neither practical.

I Desagree.

--
EduardoOPadoan (eopadoan->altavix::com)
Bookmarks: http://del.icio.us/edcrypt