How to do basic CRUD apps with Python

Michael Bentley michael at jedimindworks.com
Mon May 14 00:21:06 EDT 2007

On May 13, 2007, at 6:20 PM, walterbyrd wrote:

> With PHP, libraries, apps, etc. to do basic CRUD are everywhere. Ajax
> and non-Ajax solutions abound.
>
> With Python, finding such library, or apps. seems to be much more
> difficult to find.
>
> I thought django might be a good way, but I can not seem to get an
> answer on that board.
>
> I would like to put together a CRUD grid with editable/deletable/
> addable fields, click on the headers to sort. Something that would
> sort-of looks like an online  spreadsheet. It would be nice if the
> fields could be edited in-line, but it's not entirely necessary.
>
> Are there any Python libraries to do that sort of thing? Can it be
> done with django or cherrypy?
>
> Please, don't advertise your PHP/Ajax apps.

You got answers on django-users!  The best IMHO was the one from
dballanc: "Django is good for providing the backend, but most of your
functionality is probably going to be provided by ajax/javascript
which django will happily communicate with, but does not provide."

Django provides an ORM, but you don't have to use it.  If you want,
you can connect directly to your database just like you did with
php.  I've actually done that because something just "feels wrong"
about using an ORM for CRUDy applications.