generating a tree-like structure

kyosohma at gmail.com kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:15:48 EDT 2007

On May 31, 12:44 pm, Thorsten Kampe <thors... at thorstenkampe.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a fairly general question: is there some kind of module or
> framework that allows building a tree like structure from certain kind
> of data?
>
> To be specific: I have a program that dumps the content of a LDAP
> directory including all properties and values and groups the result
> from the LDAP search by objClass.
>
> Now I was thinking: would it be possible to generate from the totally
> unordered output that the LDAP server gives me, a tree like
> representation that displays the hierarchy (omitting the values or
> even properties if necessary)?
>
> It should be a textual representation of what you see in GUI programs
> like "LDAP Administrator" but the output should be represented like
> the "tree" program in Linux or Windows "tree.com".
>
> Any ideas appreciated...
>
> Thorsten

I think you might be able to use ElementTree. The website for the
module claims it can be used for hierarchical data structures:
http://effbot.org/zone/element-index.htm

Did you look at any of the Python LDAP tools? They might be useful
too. See some of the links below:
http://linuxjournal.com/article/6988
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/303336

Hopefully they'll give some guidance. I've not used LDAP myself as of
yet.

Mike