Comparing bitmap images for differences?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue May 1 18:13:19 EDT 2007

<lanwrangler at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1178024505.768505.262270 at h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
|I know it's a long shot but does anyone have any pointers to generic
| algorithms - or, even better, Python code - for comparing images and
| computing a value for the "difference" between them?

If PIL and the other posted ideas are not enough, another approach is to
convert the image from PIL format to NumPy array format.  (pygame has
functions to do this, I believe, since it uses NumPy (actually the older
Numerical Python at present) for its surface arrays.)  You can then do most
any calculation you want.

tjr