Help with PySMS

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Sun May 27 11:05:05 EDT 2007

DJ Fadereu wrote:

> I need an SMS server running on my WinXP PC, as soon as possible. I'm
> currently using a Nokia 6300 phone which has the S60 platform. I
> downloaded the PySMS by Dave Berkeley from
> http://www.wordhord.co.uk/pysms.html and started testing it, but I
> haven't been able to get it working. Maybe I don't know how to do some
> configurations before using it, I dunno. I'm pretty lost.

Have you contacted the author? He might be able to help you out much
more effectively than we can.

[...]

> My project is very simple - I will use incoming SMS to
> generate a visualisation and automatic responder. This system will be
> part of a multiplayer game that lots of people can play using SMS.

I've extended the t616hack distribution to deal with messages - it
contains a library which is used to communicate with Sony Ericsson
telephones using AT commands - and that might give you some ideas
about the principles involved. See here for the package:

http://www.python.org/pypi/t616hack

One significant enhancement made to t616hack is support for Bluetooth
sockets, meaning that you don't need to worry about baud rates, serial
devices and other low-level details. There's no direct support for a
message server, but I have a Web application that I use personally for
accessing messages on my telephone.

Paul