PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Tue May 15 21:05:03 EDT 2007

On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:58:35 +0200, René Fleschenberg wrote:

> Unless you are 150% sure that there will *never* be the need for a
> person who does not know your language of choice to be able to read or
> modify your code, the language that "fits the environment best" is
> English.

Just a touch of hyperbole perhaps?

You know, it may come to a surprise to some people that English is not
the only common language. In fact, it only ranks third, behind Mandarin
and Spanish, and just above Arabic. Although the exact number of speakers
vary according to the source you consult, the rankings are quite stable:
Mandarin, Spanish, then English. Any of those languages could equally
have claim to be the world's lingua franca.

And interestingly, with only one billion English speakers (as a first or
second language) in the world, and 5.5 billion people who don't speak
English, I think its probably fair to say that it is a small minority
that speak English.

--
Steven.