PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Ross Ridge rridge at caffeine.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 15 12:59:32 EDT 2007

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch  <bj_666 at gmx.net> wrote:
>I think you have to search examples of ASCII sources with transliterated
>identifiers too, because the authors may have skipped the transliteration
>if they could have written the non-ASCII characters in the first place.

The point of my search was to look for code that actually used non-ASCII
characters in languages that actually supported it (mainly Java at the
time).  The point wasn't to create more speculation about what programmers
might or might not do, but to find out what they were actually doing.

>And then I dare to guess that much of that code is not open source.

Lots of non-open source code makes it on to the Internet in the form of
code snippets.  You don't have to guess what closed-source are actually
doing either.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU