PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Thorsten Kampe thorsten at thorstenkampe.de
Tue May 15 08:32:31 EDT 2007

* René Fleschenberg (Tue, 15 May 2007 14:19:46 +0200)
> Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
> >> Identifiers which my terminal cannot even display surely
> >> are not very readable.
> >
> > This PEP is not about you. It's about people who write in their native
> > language and who are forced to use a dodgy transcription from
> > characters of their own language to ASCII.
>
> It is impossible to write Python in a native language other than English
> even with the implementation of this PEP. All you get is a weird mixture
> of English identifiers from various libraries and identifiers in your
> native language.

You have a few English keywords that are not meant to be understood
but can be learned.

> And even if you consider that more clear and readable
> than English-only Python code, the fact that it discourages code sharing
> remains.

It neither encourages or discourages anything. And I don't think
encouraring or discouraging code sharing is a good thing. There is
simply no general reason to do so.