Issue with MySQLdb wrapper

jmg3000 at gmail.com jmg3000 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 02:59:07 EDT 2007

On May 15, 7:22 pm, Gerard M <gerardo.maldon... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys I have a big problem with this wrapper im using Ubuntu 7.04
> and I want to install python-MySQLdb, I used synaptics and it is
> installed, but when I try to do>>> import MySQLdb
>
> and  I get this error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
>     import _mysql
> ImportError: No module named _mysql

Looks like the install of MySQLdb is botched up. You might try and use
the Ubuntu package management tool to check your installation for
correctness. If that tells you everything is ok and it's still busted,
you might try to uninstall, then reinstall MySQLdb.

If that still doesn't work, you probably should ask about this on one
of the Ubuntu forums.

> so I tried to download it from the site and install it from the .tar
> file but I failed because when I run
>
> #~/Desktop/MySQL-python-1.2.2$ python setup.py install
>
> [snip]

In general, my guess is that, unless you have a good reason not to,
you should probably not install fairly standard python packages by-
hand like that on Ubuntu. There should be an Ubuntu package for what
you need, and if there is, you should stick with that. If it fails,
the Ubuntu folks will want to know about it.

---John