Issue with MySQLdb wrapper

Gerard M gerardo.maldonado at gmail.com
Tue May 15 19:22:16 EDT 2007

Hi guys I have a big problem with this wrapper im using Ubuntu 7.04
and I want to install python-MySQLdb, I used synaptics and it is
installed, but when I try to do
>>> import MySQLdb
and  I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 19, in <module>
    import _mysql
ImportError: No module named _mysql

so I tried to download it from the site and install it from the .tar
file but I failed because when I run

#~/Desktop/MySQL-python-1.2.2$ python setup.py install

I get this output:

This script requires setuptools version 0.6c5 to run (even to display
help).  I will attempt to download it for you (from
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.5/s/setuptools/), but
you may need to enable firewall access for this script first.
I will start the download in 15 seconds.

(Note: if this machine does not have network access, please obtain the
file

   http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.5/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c5-py2.5.egg

and place it in this directory before rerunning this script.)
Downloading http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/2.5/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c5-py2.5.egg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 5, in <module>
    import ez_setup; ez_setup.use_setuptools()
  File "/home/gerardo/Desktop/MySQL-python-1.2.2/ez_setup.py", line
85, in use_setuptools
    import setuptools; setuptools.bootstrap_install_from = egg
zipimport.ZipImportError: can't decompress data; zlib not available

I dont know whats that zlib, I installed some libraries with zlib
using synaptics, but still no luck :(, thanks for your help