gui application on cross platform

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon May 28 21:12:13 EDT 2007

On May 28, 2007, at 2:01 AM, james_027 wrote:

> I am using delphi to develop gui application, and wish to make a shift
> to python. here are some of my question/concern...
>
> 1. is python develop gui application a cross platform? just like java
> swing?

	wxPython is probably the best cross-platform GUI toolkit available
for Python. That's why we chose it for our primary UI toolkit for Dabo.

> 2. delphi makes things easy for me like coding for a specific event on
> a specific component, could it be the same for python?

	Not in Python per se, but I know exactly what you mean.

	I come from the Visual FoxPro world, which is very similar to
Delphi. I stumbled upon Python, and quickly discovered that it was
far and away the best language I've programmed in in over 3 decades
of coding. Yet it lacked anything like the power of GUI development
that tools such as Delphi or Visual FoxPro offered. So along with my
partner Paul McNett, we set out to create such a tool, and that is Dabo.

> 3. are there cool library of component like in delphi available for
> python that will make database application more usesable?

	One word: Dabo. We do database apps.

> 4. where do I start the learning curve? I did some research and I
> don't know which one to take among wxwdiget, pygtk, and etc.

	Check out our collection of screencasts to see what Dabo can do for
you (http://dabodev.com/documentation). Post messages to the dabo-
users list to get answers to any questions you might have (sign up at
http://leafe.com/mailman/listinfo/dabo-users).

	There are a ton of web frameworks out there. But for Python, there
is only one desktop app framework: Dabo.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com