List Moderator

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat May 19 16:29:54 EDT 2007

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 19/05/07, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Most of what
>> can be done *is* being done, which is why you see the relatively low
>> spam volumes you do.
>
> I hope that I don't. I receive no less than 700 spams a day to my
> regular address (not gmail, which I use for mailing lists), but then
> again I've only twice gone over 2000 spams in a single day. I can only
> imagine the efforts used to keep the list clean. Maybe spamassasin, a
> few hundred procmail filters, and a last swipe with bogofilter for
> good measure?
>
> I don't mean to be pushy, but every day I add another procmail filter
> based upon what's been getting through (and they still do, I try to
> err on 'false negative'). Four filters "britney", "spears", "boobs"
> and "tits" would show the spammers that the moderators are serious
> about keeping this list clean.
>
> I'll go back to reading and not writing now, at least until I get to
> the point where either I feel that I can contribute, or until I get
> myself real stuck.

All I am saying is that it's difficult to catch *everything* when so
much of the content comes in via Usenet. These posts never touch any
python.org infrastructure before being incorporated into the newsgroup
content on servers all over the world. Whose procmail filters will
protect you from that?

You are right about some of the technologies being used, and Spambayes
also enters the picture. I'm not sure we are using bogofilter.

Looking at the headers in one of the messages you were writing about it
appears they are being posted from Google groups, so maybe you could
complain to them. Good luck with that ;-).

The Python list managers know what they are doing, and they *do* keep a
huge amount of spam off the list. The occasional piece gets through, but
this is Usenet. It will, from time to time.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119