PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch bj_666 at gmx.net
Wed May 16 04:01:09 EDT 2007

In <464A3354.4060205 at web.de>, Stefan Behnel wrote:

> René Fleschenberg wrote:
>> We all know what the PEP is about (we can read). The point is: If we do
>> not *need* non-English/ASCII identifiers, we do not need the PEP. If the
>> PEP does not solve an actual *problem* and still introduces some
>> potential for *new* problems, it should be rejected. So far, the
>> "problem" seems to just not exist. The burden of proof is on those who
>> support the PEP.
>
> The main problem here seems to be proving the need of something to people who
> do not need it themselves. So, if a simple "but I need it because a, b, c" is
> not enough, what good is any further prove?

Maybe all the (potential) programmers that can't understand english and
would benefit from the ability to use non-ASCII characters in identifiers
could step up and take part in this debate.  In an english speaking
newsgroup…  =:o)

There are potential users of Python who don't know much english or no
english at all.  This includes kids, old people, people from countries
that have "letters" that are not that easy to transliterate like european
languages, people who just want to learn Python for fun or to customize
their applications like office suites or GIS software with a Python
scripting option.

Some people here seem to think the user base is or should be only from the
computer science domain.  Yes, if you are a programming professional it
may be mandatory to be able to write english identifiers, comments and
documentation, but there are not just programming professionals out there.

Ciao,
	Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch