PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

René Fleschenberg rene at korteklippe.de
Tue May 15 06:17:09 EDT 2007

Steven D'Aprano schrieb:
> How is that different from misreading "disk_burnt = True" as "disk_bumt =
> True"? In the right (or perhaps wrong) font, like the ever-popular Arial,
> the two can be visually indistinguishable. Or "call" versus "cal1"?

That is the wrong question. The right question is: Why do you want to
introduce *more* possibilities to do such mistakes? Does this PEP solve
an actual problem, and if so, is that problem big enough to be worth the
introduction of these new risks and problems?

I think it is not. I think that the problem only really applies to very
isolated use-cases. So isolated that they do not justify a change to
mainline Python. If someone thinks that non-ASCII identifiers are really
needed, he could maintain a special Python branch that supports them. I
doubt that there would be alot of demand for it.

--
René