c[:]()

Warren Stringer warren at muse.com
Thu May 31 12:37:30 EDT 2007

> How is it more expressive?  In the context you're concerned
> with, c[:] is the exactly same thing as c.  You seem to be
> worried about saving keystrokes, yet you use c[:] instead of c.
>
> It's like having an integer variable i and using ((i+0)*1)
> instead of i.

Nope, different.

c[:] holds many behaviors that change dynamically. So c[:]() -- or the more
recent go(c)() -- executes all those behaviors. This is very useful for many
performers. The real world example that I'm working one is a collaborative
visual music performance. So c can contain wrapped MIDI events or sequencer
behaviors. c may get passed to a scheduler to execute those events, or c may
get passed to a pickler to persist the performance.