Single precision floating point calcs?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 9 14:53:17 EDT 2007

"Grant Edwards" <grante at visi.com> wrote in message
news:1343v0emvdjr545 at corp.supernews.com...
| I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but before I give up on the
| idea, I thought I'd ask...

| Is there any way to do single-precision floating point
| calculations in Python?

Make your own Python build from altered source.  And run it on an ancient
processor/OS/C compiler combination that does not automatically convert C
floats to double when doing any sort of calculation.

Standard CPython does not have C single-precision floats.

The only point I can think of for doing this with single numbers, as
opposed to arrays of millions, is to show that there is no point.  Or do
you have something else in mind?

Terry Jan Reedy