Python on Vista installation issues

Chris Gonnerman chris at newcenturycomputers.net
Wed May 23 09:32:17 EDT 2007

Mattia Gentilini wrote:
> will ha scritto:
>
>> Vista is a 64 bit OS and there is no port of pywin32 for either Vista
>> or 64-bit XP
>>
> Vista exists in BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

Indeed, and this is running on a Core 2 Duo laptop, a 32 bit platform.
The problem is obvious (or seems to be)... the installer for Python
(which is a "professional" installer) has set the c:\python25 folder
privileges so that the installers for the extensions (which are the
pocket-sized installers from the distutils) can't write files in that
folder.  The site-packages folder is evidently marked "public" (however
that is done) so that the installation of files into that folder by the
extension installers works fine.  But then, there is also a restricted
registry key that is blocking the win32all installer from working properly.

I hate Vista.  Does anyone like it?  Okay, that's off topic, but I had
to vent.

Chris Gonnerman <chris at newcenturycomputers.net>
Owner, New Century Computers
Phone 660-213-3822   Fax 660-213-3339