PEP 3131: Supporting Non-ASCII Identifiers

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri May 18 13:16:39 EDT 2007

On 18 Mai, 18:42, "Javier Bezos" <see_below_no_s... at yahoo.es> wrote:
> "Istvan Albert" <istvan. at .com> escribió:
>
> > How about debugging this (I wonder will it even make it through?) :
>
> > class 6???????
>
>  >   6?? = 0
>  >  6????? ?? ?=10
>
> This question is more or less what a Korean who doesn't
> speak English would ask if he had to debug a program
> written in English.

Perhaps, but the treatment by your mail/news software plus the
delightful Google Groups of the original text (which seemed intact in
the original, although I don't have the fonts for the content) would
suggest that not just social or cultural issues would be involved.
It's already more difficult than it ought to be to explain to people
why they have trouble printing text to the console, for example, and
if one considers issues with badly configured text editors putting the
wrong character values into programs, even if Python complains about
it, there's still going to be some explaining to do.

One thing that some people already dislike about Python is the
"editing discipline" required. Although I don't have much time for
people whose coding "skills" involve random edits using badly
configured editors, trashing the indentation and the appearance of the
code (regardless of the language involved), we do need to consider the
need to bring people "up to speed" gracefully by encouraging the
proper use of tools, and so on, all without making it seem really
difficult and discouraging people from learning the language.

Paul