Is PEP-8 a Code or More of a Guideline?

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 09:48:19 EDT 2007

--- Ben Finney <bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au>
wrote:

> Paul McGuire <ptmcg at austin.rr.com> writes:
>
> > At this point, I realized that I was taking things
> too far
> > off-topic, so I decided to start a new thread.
>
> So, uh, what's the purpose of this thread? Did you
> have a specific
> point to start off with, or a question to ask?

I'll take the liberty of answering on by behalf of
Paul.

Purpose of the thread--he realized he was taking
another thread off topic, decided to start his own, so
that people who don't want debate PEP 8 can more
easily ignore it

Specific point--he was mostly focused on the pain of
using underscores, and while he was still off-topic on
the previous thread, he had put his problems in the
context of working with German colleagues who have
slightly different keyboards than the American
keyboard he has, the upcoming complications of Unicode
in Python 3, etc.

Question to ask--note the subject line, although I'm
not sure that's his main question