Create new processes over telnet in XP

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at wanadoo.fr
Fri Mar 23 16:43:27 EDT 2007

Jorgen Grahn wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2007 03:47:14 -0700, Godzilla <godzillaismad at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> How do you create/spawn new processes in XP over telnet using python?
>> I.e. I would like to create a new process and have it running in the
>> background...
>
> Ssh -- or even rsh -- are better choices than telnet for these things.
> For some reason, they are not standard in Windows, though.
>
>   ssh somewhere some command with arguments
>   rsh somewhere some command with arguments
>
> compared to
>
>   telnet somewhere
>
> and then performing expect-like things (basically simulating
> someone typing "some command with arguments" in the telnet
> session).

+ for an sshd running as a service under XP, look at CopSSH.

+ hope started process doesn't want a GUI... else, look at UltraVNC running
as daemon, and port redirection using ssh.

>> when I terminate the telnet connection, I would what the
>> spawned processes to keep running until I shut it off...
>
> That's a function of the remote OS; what happens when its terminal
> goes away is not under the control of the client side.

Maybe the process starting job can be done by a Python program running as
Windows service and waiting for requests on a port (or Pyro object or Corba
object...).
No need for telnet/ssh connection, no logout problem.

Just care of possible security problems :-)