Cheeseshop needs mirrors

Jon chairos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 03:05:43 EDT 2007

I'm a frequent helper in the IRC channel for the Pylons web framework.
Pylons is installed from eggs using easy_install, and when Cheeseshop
is down (or so slow it might as well be down), it gives a bad
impression of our framework and Python in general. It took us half an
hour to figure out how to bootstrap setuptools onto one person's
machine, since ez_install.py sources from the cheeseshop, and even
when we got that installed, bootstrapping the rest of Pylons was very
troublesome.

If something as widely used as eggs is going to have a single point of
failure like the Cheeseshop, we can't have it going down.

I'm sure there are other solutions, but my suggestion is simply to
have mirrors. It works for Debian, after all.