Squisher -- a lightweight, self-contained alternative to eggs?

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Mon Mar 5 17:14:10 EST 2007

Adam Atlas wrote:
> Ah... heh, sorry, I misread your message as "a much more convenient
> way" rather than "much more than a convenient way". Anyway, I
> understand that, and I do indeed find setuptools useful and use it on
> a regular basis.
>
> But my other points still stand. This would be a moot point if
> setuptools were part of the standard library, but it's not, and I
> don't see why people should have to bother installing it if they
> simply want to try a small package. Look at Beautiful Soup, for
> example. It's distributed as a single .py file, and that's great. With
> most modules, all I want to do is download them and plop them into my
> project directory. You can always copy it into site-packages if you
> want to access it globally, and you can always unzip it if you need to
> see the source.
>
> So I *will* retract my statement that this could be an "alternative"
> to eggs -- ideally, it would be an addition, since it doesn't break
> compatibility at all. You could download an egg and rename it to .pyc,
> and import it like any other module, and at any point later, you could
> rename it back to .egg and use setuptools to install it if you wish.

Good point to make these things much easier!

But possibly I'm the only Windows user here,
as I still find these talks all very difficult to understand,
and I really don't understand why all this complexity is necessary,
setuptools ? eggs ? zips ? pythonpaths ?

As a normal Windows user,
   I'm used to run an install file,
     and hit just 1 button.
As a normal Windows programmer,
   I'm used to create a simple Inno-setup file,
     and my users can behave as a simplistic and happy Windows user.

But I guess the needed complexity is all thanks to NIX ;-)

I think I never would have started with Python,
if I didn't bounced into the Enthought-edition.

--
cheers,
Stef Mientki