2 new comment-like characters in Python to aid development?

Bjoern Schliessmann usenet-mail-0306.20.chr0n0ss at spamgourmet.com
Fri Mar 9 07:44:12 EST 2007

dbhbarton at googlemail.com wrote:
>> Those characters have no syntactical meaning...
>
> ?
> Neither does # until you give it syntactical meaning. I must be
> missing what you mean.

Yes, it has. It says "disregard the following characters until EOL".
If you remove it, the following code will be interpreted as ...
code (and not be disregarded).

A "WIP character" would only be there for tagging and wouldn't
change the program logic. Thus, IMHO, it's useless as a part of the
Python language. Highlighting and tagging is task of editors/IDEs.

>> would, IMHO, make the language "dirty".
>
> Well I'm not a big fan of decorators so I know how you must feel.

Mh, not sure -- why do you have decorators in mind? I don't dislike
them.

> But # FIXME + a hack doesn't seem clean to me.

I think it's much cleaner to have language and "fixme" levels
separate. "fixme" features can then depend fully on the editor/IDE
and don't have to be part of the source code (though they may).

> And commenting off the bottom half of a long script with triple
> quotes is ugly and a pain and you can't indicate multiple
> alternate halt points as in the 'tutorial script' example I gave.

A proper editor can comment out multiple lines easily.

A smart script can have multiple halt points user-selectable, though
this is a big matter of taste. I think that in this case some kind
of learning environment is better.

Regards,

Björn

--