Numeric Soup

Erik Johnson nobody at invalid.com
Tue Mar 27 12:49:18 EDT 2007

    I am just starting to explore doing some scientific type data analysis
using Python, and am a little confused by the different incarnations of
modules (e.g., try Google("Python numeric").

    There is SciPy, NumPy, NumArray, Numeric...  I know some of these are
related and some are separate, some are oudated, etc. but can someone sort
of give a general run-down in layman's terms of what's what, what's used for
what, what depends on what, and what's current?

    At this point my interest is just sort of general, fast array
manipulation and DSP.

Thanks!