Numeric Soup

Ene EneUran at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 13:27:34 EDT 2007

On Mar 27, 9:49 am, "Erik Johnson" <nob... at invalid.com> wrote:
>     I am just starting to explore doing some scientific type data analysis
> using Python, and am a little confused by the different incarnations of
> modules (e.g., try Google("Python numeric").
>
>     There is SciPy, NumPy, NumArray, Numeric...  I know some of these are
> related and some are separate, some are oudated, etc. but can someone sort
> of give a general run-down in layman's terms of what's what, what's used for
> what, what depends on what, and what's current?
>
>     At this point my interest is just sort of general, fast array
> manipulation and DSP.
>
> Thanks!

Numeric was slow at large-arrays, so numarray was born.  Well numarray
turned out to be slow at small arrays, so numpy was born. It is trying
to merge Numeric and Numpy together. As it stands Matplotlib does not
support numpy (thus my suggestion to install two of the three - my
choice: numarray + numpy)