Python 2.5 incompatible with Fedora Core 6 - packaging problems again

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Mar 4 13:03:18 EST 2007

skip at pobox.com wrote:
 > The distutils setup.py script checks for ncurses bits

    No, it just plows on after compiler errors.

> As another person pointed out, you're conflating Python proper with a
> specific Linux distribution's packaging techniques.

    Exactly.  As I've pointed out before, Python doesn't play well with
others.  The Python developers pass the buck to the Linux packager, the
Linux packager passes the buck to the Python developers, and thus
the user experience sucks.

    Debian seems to have struggled through this problem, but Red Hat
apparently just decided to give up keeping up with Python versions.

				John Nagle