Python 2.5 incompatible with Fedora Core 6 - packaging problems again

MonkeeSage MonkeeSage at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:58:27 EST 2007

On Mar 4, 12:03 pm, John Nagle <n... at animats.com> wrote:
>     Exactly.  As I've pointed out before, Python doesn't play well with
> others.  The Python developers pass the buck to the Linux packager, the
> Linux packager passes the buck to the Python developers, and thus
> the user experience sucks.

The configure script checks for libraries and headers that are
required for a base build, and (according to the options passed to
configure, or using the defaults) optional components. There is NO WAY
for it to know which PACKAGES, on any of the 500 linux distributions,
provide those libs and headers. That is the job of the PACKAGER, or
(gasp) the end user if you use a distro without a package system or
trying to build from raw source. There is no passing the buck. If a
package is broken, the packager must fix it. If the source is broken,
the developer must fix it.

>     Debian seems to have struggled through this problem, but Red Hat
> apparently just decided to give up keeping up with Python versions.

Anybody can make packages, not just the distro maintainers. Why not
search for them?

http://rpmseek.com/rpm-pl/python.html?hl=com&cs=python%3APN%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0%3A0&qArStr=0&qRtStr=1&qDnStr=82