Making a non-root daemon process

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Mar 23 05:38:42 EDT 2007

"Leo Kislov" <Leo.Kislov at gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 22, 11:19 pm, Ben Finney <b... at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > The problem I'm having is that 'os.setsid()' fails with 'OSError:
> > [Errno 1] Operation not permitted' unless I run the program as the
> > root user. This isn't a program that I want necessarily running as
> > root.
>
> It works for me. I mean your program above produces no exceptions
> for me on Debian 3.1 python2.4

Hmm. I typed the example program in as a simplified version of what
I'm doing; but didn't actually *run* it. When I do run it, I get no
exception, as you say.

Now I'll have to find out what significant difference there is between
my failing code and this example, and report back in this thread.

Thanks for showing me this far :-)

--
 \        "Some people, when confronted with a problem, think 'I know, |
  `\   I'll use regular expressions'. Now they have two problems."  -- |