threading and iterator crashing interpreter

Rhamphoryncus rhamph at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 16:10:19 EDT 2007

On Mar 11, 8:35 am, "Janto Dreijer" <jan... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 3:27 pm, "Gabriel Genellina" <gagsl-... at yahoo.com.ar>
> wrote:
> > At least, the problem of using the same generator from different threads
> > still remains, if you don't use my modified code. In general, when using
> > multiple threads you always need some way to syncronize access to shared
> > objects. You are lucky with Sessions because append is an atomic operation
> > on lists; for more information see  http://effbot.org/pyfaq/what-kinds-of-global-value-mutation-are-threa...
>
> Again you're right. But even putting a try-except:return around the
> random.choice still manages to break the interpreter. I'm not looking
> for any meaningful output really. I just want it not to break.

I think you need to clarify what you mean by "break".  Python tries to
prevent C-level corruption (segfaults, etc), but does NOT attempt to
prevent python-level corruption.  The python-level corruption will
*probably* be localized (and the objects involved could be deleted, no
harm done), but there's no guarantee that they won't involve some
global too.

But the examples you give involve C-level corruption.  They're not
using some low-level interface either, so they're genuine bugs.

login1 did segfault for me, but the output is random and usually very
long.  login2 is somewhat random as well, but much shorter and to the
point:

Exception exceptions.SystemError: '../Python/traceback.c:96: bad
argument to internal function' in <generator object at 0xa7956aec>
ignored
Exception exceptions.SystemError: '../Python/traceback.c:96: bad
argument to internal function' in <generator object at 0xa79569ac>
ignored
Exception exceptions.SystemError: '../Python/traceback.c:96: bad
argument to internal function' in <generator object at 0xa795656c>
ignored
Exception exceptions.SystemError: '../Python/traceback.c:96: bad
argument to internal function' in <generator object at 0xa795ebec>
ignored
Segmentation fault

Blah!  I was trying to trace it down, but then the phase of the moon
changed and login2 (as well as my variations therein) stopped
failing.  login1 still segfaults though.  And login1 does sometimes
give me that weird restricted mode error, so you're not alone.

I do remember reading something about generators having a pointer to
the thread they're created in, and having problems when migrated
between threads.  I don't have time to find the posts or bug reports
right now, but at least that gives you something to look for (before
filing a bug report).

Actually, I have a few more minutes.
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-October/069470.html
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1579370&group_id=5470&atid=105470

That refers to a generator crash.  You are using generators, but also
getting a weird dict error.  Maybe related, maybe not.

I'll figure out if I've got a "fixed" version or not when I get back.